Monday, March 30, 2009

Film Review: Midnight Meat Train

Film: The Midnight Meat Train
Director: Ryuhei Ktamura

The short story, The Midnight Meat Train by Clive Barker, was such a good read. I highly recommend the story before you watch this movie.

To make the film "movie" length, they had to add all kinds of drama to the movie. Leon, the film's protagonist, is a photographer trying to find his way in the art world by photographing the "heart of the city", which to him is dark and sinister. Well he finds what he's looking for and so much more when he begins following a mysterious man who also happens to be a butcher of human flesh. What follows is a gore fest of a ride.

My only gripes with this film is that it adds so much more crap to a very simple story. The girlfriend, the photography, the art buddy, the art dealer, and the police officer had no place in the original story. I personally think it was a mistake to make the story into a movie.

Anyway, the film did keep my attention anyway. Mahogany the butcher is a fascinating killer. Very professional and almost obsessive compulsive. The gore for the most part was pretty good, however, a lot of it was cgi. The first real glimpse at gore was over the top computerized with eyeballs and blood splattering through the air in slow motion. I just about laughed.

All in all a decent horror flick. I've seen way worse. The best part is the concept of this film/story. 4 blood drops, please.

1 comment:

  1. Something about the title, MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN always makes me laugh a little. I've really wanted to see this. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete