Sunday, February 15, 2009

Film Review: Funny Games (U.S. version)

Film: Funny Games (U.S. version)
Director: Michael Haneke
Reviewed by: Doc Zombie

Unfortunately, I watched the original German version from 1997 first so I can only begin to compare this 2007 version with the original. Fortunately, this new version was shot for shot the same movie. The only difference here being the American actors.

Funny Games (U.S. version - 2007)


















Funny Games (German version - 1997)


















Funny Games is about a family who arrives at their vacation home for a two week stay. The neighbor drops by with a guest to say hi. Said guest and a friend of his turn out to be vicious home invaders...and what follows is one of the most horrific stories I've seen on film.

What grabbed me about this film was how the director managed to get me attached to the characters and then tear that connection down with brutal force. By the time the movie was over, I was exhausted - only because i was tense the whole time. Holding my breath. Hoping with all my might that the family would somehow make it through the ordeal.

As far as the acting goes, the American actors weren't quite up to the same level as the German actors. However, I can't tell if I feel that way because the German actors were unknown to me and seemed anonymous rather than seeing Naomi Watts play the Ann character, for example. I'm not saying that the American actors didn't do a good job, though. They still rocked their roles hardcore style and brought the pain and suffering enough to make me feel it.

I rented the U.S version about 2 weeks ago and I've avoided watching it. I had to wait until I was in the mood to throw myself into this story. I knew what was awaiting me. All I'm saying is if you plan on watching this (and you should), be prepared. This movie will chew you up and spit you out and you'll be left feeling the bite wounds.

Supposedly, Funny Games is supposed to represent what Americans love about the movies...exploitation of ultra-violence and hate. This is the Clockwork Orange of my generation. 5 muthafuckin blood drops.

No comments:

Post a Comment